Restraining Orders
(626) 421-7944

If a spouse, a partner, or a relative is physically, emotionally, or verbally abusing you then you can apply for a restraining order to prevent this kind of abuse. If the court finds that there is sufficient evidence, based on the face of the complaint, then the court will grant a temporary restraining order. About three weeks later, you will have to attend a hearing where the court will determine whether there is enough evidence to grant a permanent restraining order for up to five years.

If you are granted a permanent restraining order, then the restrained person:

May not contact you.

Stay away from you, your family, or the people that live with you.

Move out of your home.

Pay child support or spousal support.

Obey child custody and visitation orders

Not be allowed to possess a weapon.

Once a restraining order is issued, only the judge is authorized to revise or terminate the order. If the restrained person violates the restraining order then you call the police and the restrained person may be charged with violating the restraining order.